I’ve noticed my opinion changes, or rather some of these drinks take a bit of getting used to 🙂
I noticed another site mentions drinking with and without water etc, I always drink mine room temperature and neat.
so, here’s an updated league table of my current batch
1) Aberfeldy 12 year old – I can see myself buying this again, it’s very nice, smooth, and tastes well like whisky should, it’s kind of a classic whisky.
2) Penderyn single malt – the more I drink it, the more I appreciate the flavours, and I was a bit harsh with it before. It’s grown on me a lot. Not sure I’d buy it again, but I’d happily receive it as a gift, certainly worth trying.
3) Glenmorangie 10 Year old – it’s a good whisky, a classic, there’s nothing wrong with it, but nothing special about it. I doubt I’d buy it again, but wouldn’t be upset to receive it as a gift, and wouldn’t decline if offered at a friend’s, but it’s a good, but basic bog standard single malt. That’s not meant to be a complaint, sometimes you just want plain and simple, no surprises 🙂
4) Auchentoshan American Oak – again not as nice as the Penderyn, but similar, fruit, smooth, I’m enjoying it more than I was, but won’t buy again. it’s OK, but there’s plenty of similar and better whiskies in this price range. Certainly not worth spending full whack on.
5) Jura Elixir – a huge disappointment, won’t buy this again. Glad it was on special offer in supermarket. It’s supposed to be fruity and spicy, instead it’s just a bit, “meh”, it’s smooth, but no real taste to it, very bland. Shame, as normal Jura is quite nice I seem to remember.